Where do recursion denied messages go?

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue Apr 25 05:53:05 UTC 2006

Hello.

Where do "recursion denied" messages go? I have a server running BIND
9.3.1, and I'd like to see which queries it denies (I'm using
"allow-recursion" to allow just some networks to use it recursively).

I have tried to provoke generation fo such messages by doing recursive
queries from an external network, but nothing is shown in the logs. What
logs? BIND has not been configured to use any special logging settings,
so it uses whatever the default is. OS = Solaris 5.8. I see some
"named"-messages in /var/adm/messages but nothing related to recursion
being denied anyone.

Do I need to tweak the logging to get what I want? If so, which category
and severity level am I looking for?

--
Regards
Eivind Olsen