resolver's behavior

Frank Y.F. Luo luoy at muohio.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:27:56 UTC 2006

Let me ask you guys a similar question:

a NS only allows authoritative query (that means recursive query turned
off).

What if I configure a client ( Windows, Mac OS, Solaris, ....) to use this
NS and do a non-authoritative query, what will happen? I know the first
query will be "qr" - recursive preferred, but since recursive query turned
off, the NS will return the root NS will be returned to the client. What is
supposed to happen at this time to client? Will client follow that to query
root NS? Is there any difference in different resolver implementation as you
know?

I hope there is a quick answer - Thanks anyway.

Frank
x96099