Logging channel: FILE NOT FOUND

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Thu Apr 27 15:37:21 UTC 2006

I am a new Bind user.  I have set up a DNS server and it is working, but I
need to see logs.

I un-commented the logging section of named.conf as follows:

logging{
  channel simple_log {
    file "/var/log/named/bind.log" versions 3 size 5m;
    severity warning;
    print-time yes;
    print-severity yes;
    print-category yes;
  };
  category default{
    simple_log;
  };
};

And when I do, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Apr 27 09:37:23 ns2 named[8557]: logging channel 'simple_log' file
'/var/log/named/bind.log': file not found

I have tried everything I know:

- changing directory permissions for /var/log & /var
- changing file permissions
- creating a blank file ahead of time
- changing the name of the file in the logging section

No matter what I do, the result is always the same.

Please help,

Cliff