Basic DNS Cache Server

Dixon, Justin Justin.Dixon at BBandT.com
Fri Aug 4 14:51:47 UTC 2006

You could make a copy of /etc/resolv.conf in another directory and edit
the DHCP startup script to include a cp of the backed up resolv.conf to
the /etc directory each time DHCP starts...

Justin Dixon

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Haas
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 10:06
To: SwtDivaLove
Cc: bind-users-bounce at isc.org; comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: Basic DNS Cache Server

On Fedora, two things that you will want to do are:
1. Install the "caching-nameserver" package (ie: "yum install
caching-nameserver").

2. If you want to use the caching nameserver on your local machine,
remove
any existing nameservers from /etc/resolv.conf and add a line that
reads:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Also note that if you're using DHCP for your IP address, this won't
work,
because dhcpcd will clobber your /etc/resolv.conf file every time it
starts up.  I haven't been able to figure out an easy way around this
problem.

...Robert