bind-9.3.2 / CPU issue.

Daniel Ryslink daniel.ryslink at col.cz
Thu Aug 17 12:23:17 UTC 2006

Hello,

We run several BIND 9.3.2 caching nameservers in a query-intensive
environment (ISP), and have experienced exactly the same problem you
describe.

I have found a workaround by setting the max-cache-size parameter to a
very low value (something around 150MB). That way, the server falls
periodically into that state when almost 100% of CPU is used by BIND, but
there is no slowdown on the DNS responses.

This workaround has issues as well, though, because records are discarded
from cache prematurely.

Best Regards
Daniel Ryslink