Dynamic updates stopped working

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 23:15:40 UTC 2006

I am running BIND 9.2.5 as an internal name server which, up until
recently, was happily receiving dynamic DNS updates from several ISC
DHCP servers on my network. The changes that seemed to change the
behavior was the need to add some names by hand and add a couple
additional forward zones that were missed in the initial setup. I
followed what seemed to be regarded as the "way to do it" according
the resources I found online wherein:

1- Stop BIND
2- Make changes (including updating serial numbers)
3- Delete journal files
4- Start BIND

Since then, my DHCP servers are all logging errors like the following
when trying to update a DDNS record that does not already exist in the
zone files:

Aug 17 16:12:45 oak dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from
host.my.domain.tld to 1.2.3.4: not a zone

I'm not expecting a solution at this point, but some direction for
troubleshooting this would be much appreciated. I've payed to google
in a variety of ways, but nothing I have found yet has solved the
problem.

Please let me know if this is a more appropriate question for the
DHCP-users list and I will cross-post over there.
--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-