Hosting own domain - newb questions.

Frank Hamersley terabite at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 21 12:43:26 UTC 2006

I have been faffing around trying to establish a BIND 9.3.2 on Ubuntu Dapper
Server as the authorative NS for a single .com.au. domain...but with only
partial success - most of which I suspect is due to my limited knowledge
(just enough to be dangerous).

I have Bind up and running and shorewall seems to be behaving itself too
athough it is spitting more messages than I would like (previously I have
cut the iptables script by hand).

I can get a response when querying using the SIP but when using the FQDN of
the NS it chokes ... which I presume signals a "lame" NS?

I have by following various bits of net howto established the domain
(gvmp.com.au) zone and indicated that the primary NS is to be
ns.gvmp.com.au.  After having communicated with the ISP they have
established a PTR for gvmp.com.au to the SIP but this doesn't seem to help.

Is this a viable arrangement or should I change the zone NS to be the same
name as the domain so the PTR maps directly back to it?

Can someone in a broad brush explain how a NS can become authorative for
itself?  I presume this is down to the "glue" but am left wondering just how
the discovery process goes from the root servers to the delegation point
(which I presume is my SIP).

If needed I can post /etc/bind/* here.

Regards, Frank.