Possible to redirect to custom "A" record all domains that do not have a DNS Zone?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 29 20:20:26 UTC 2006

intel69 at gmail.com wrote:
> - Is this possible using Named/bind?
>
> - Is this possible to implement in our DNS cluster? ( basically we
> upload the zone files and modify named.conf everytime a new account is
> modified)

This is possible in a closed DNS environment using wildcards. You'd need
to put the wildcards at each level of domain that you care about, e.g.
if you want all ".com" names to match this "fall-through" wildcard, then
the wildcard entry needs to put in "com". If you want to match one level
down, you'd need wildcards at that level too, e.g. a *.example.com
wildcard to match customer1.example.com. Repeat for every level you care
about, including the root level if you want to catch bogus TLDs, e.g.
www.notreally.

Obviously this approach is not compatible with an "open" DNS environment
where you're resolving Internet names, since you don't have control of
other people's zones and can't "superimpose" a wildcard entry on someone
else's data.