rate of update queries?

David Nolan vitroth+ at cmu.edu
Fri Dec 1 17:01:16 UTC 2006

--On Friday, December 01, 2006 09:43:30 -0600 Len Conrad
<LConrad at Go2France.com> wrote:

> We're thinking of building a private RBL server updated/add at rates
> which could be quite high, 1000s or 10s of 1000s of updates/hour.
>
> Anybody have any experience with these rates of update into BIND 9?

We do about 10K updates an hour on our master server.  The only real issue
I've seen is that the journal files can get quite large.  Ours were growing
over a gig in under a month.  This became an issue because bind opens the
journal and seeks to the end whenever it needs to log a change.  Once the
journal grew large enough we couldn't process updates fast enough.
Fortunately Bind added support for journal compression a few versions ago
(Added in 9.3.0, stable in 9.3.1, IIRC), and that solved that problem
nicely.

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Carnegie Mellon University