BIND 9.3.2 and temp box.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 6 02:09:13 UTC 2006

In article <el4pnf$3cp$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 5 2006, Bill Larson wrote:
> > [...]
> > >Please take a look at the BIND FAQ at http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/FAQ.php
> > >
> > >It says:
> > >
> > >	Q: Why does named log the warning message "no TTL specified - using
> > >SOA MINTTL instead"?
> > >	A: Your zone file is illegal according to RFC1035. It must either
> > >have a line like:
> > >	$TTL 86400
> > >	at the beginning, or the first record in it must have a TTL field,
> > >like the "84600" in this example:
> > >
> > >	example.com. 86400 IN SOA ns hostmaster ( 1 3600 1800 1814400 3600 )
> >
> > Of course, it's a bit strange that it says that, as it should be quoting
> > RFC2308 rather than RFC1035!
> >
> > --
> > Chris Thompson
> > Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk
>
> 	No.  It is RFC 1035 inheritance rules which are not being met.

But RFC 1035 is generally interpreted to say that the SOA MINIMUM field
specifies the default TTL, and this is how implementations worked before
$TTL was introduced.

Notice that the sample master file in section 5.3 of RFC 1035 has no
explicit TTLs.  Thus, RFC 1035 violates itself according to you.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA