named.conf cannot be changed

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Dec 7 22:46:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:23:10PM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Wed December 6 2006 19:11, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> >  Have you ever tried copying a file over itself?
>
> This is what I did.
>
> 1. created a Dir /temp/test1 and created another /temp/test2
>
> 2. copied a file"blabla' into /temp/test2
>
> 3. created a link from
> '/temp/test2 in /temp/test1 'ln -s /temp/test2/blabla /temp/test1'
>
> 4. issued a cp /temp/test1/blabla /temp/test2 and received the following;
>
> / $ cp /temp/test1/blabla /temp/test2
> cp: cannot stat `/temp/test1/blabla': Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> I also received the same when I tried the reverse.
>
> / $ cp /temp/test2/blabla /temp/test1
> cp: cannot stat `/temp/test1/blabla': Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> I checked the files and nothing seems to be wrong with them.  All information
> is complete.  So the only logical conclusion I can draw about my system is it
> will not allow me to copy a file that is symbolically linked to itself.

Or that you did this wrong.  Let me see:
cd /tmp
mkdir test1 test2 # unnecessary but let's play along.
cp /.../blabla test2
ln -s /tmp/test2/blabla /tmp/test1/blabla
cp test2/blabla test1
cp: `test2/blabla' and `test1/blabla' are the same file

Oh, right - this is the clever GNU 'cp'.  Even 'cp -f' won't make it Do
The Wrong Thing.  Note that THIS IS THE PROGRAM, not the system.

How about cat < test2/blabla > test1/blabla?
It worked VERY quickly.  Because the file was zero-length before it even
started reading.

--
Joe Yao