Bind's logs

Sat Dec 9 10:41:56 UTC 2006

Hi Greg,

I log all executed queries on my DNS server as follows...
In named.conf:

logging {
        channel chn_queries {
                file "/var/logs/query.log" versions 10 size 20m;
                print-time yes;
                print-category no;
                severity dynamic;
        };

        category queries { chn_queries; };
};

This tells Bind to log all queries to "/var/logs/query.log", saving the
last 10 query log files and creating a new file when the current one
reaches 20MB.  It prints the time next to each query.
Note: this is on Bind 9.3.2-P2.
You can also re-direct other log info to different files - read about
channel logging in the Bind9 Admin manual.

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834