Bind 9.3.3 on Solaris 9

vince anton mvanton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:56:28 UTC 2006

Hi All,
Im in the process of setting up bind 9.3.3 on a sparc solaris9 box with 1G
RAM and 2 CPUs, but may add more RAM and CPU if needed. This will be for
recursive resolution for my users, as well as as a slave for domains that I
host.

Ive been reading through various posts to ensure that I avoid issues with
slow resolutions etc...  and ensure that the box will handle moderate
request load.

So after looking through the archives and googling around, Ive gathered some
info, but still need some stuff claririfed by anyone running on Solaris 9:

1. There seem to have been issues when compiling multithreaded versions of
bind, however this seems to be mainly on FreeBSD and linux, and not on
Solaris ?

2. Also some people seem to have had better performance with named when
setting ISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC  to 1.  Is this also true for a solaris
box with 2 or more CPUs ?

So for solaris 9, what are people out there doing - is there a need to apply
some tweaks such as the ones above, or disable threading or whatever at
compile time, or tune to the OS kernel variables to optimise  performance ?

Thanks in advance

mvanton