big problem - possibly dns?

Dana Holland dana.holland at navarrocollege.edu
Tue Dec 12 22:52:00 UTC 2006

We've got a problem here that seems to be DNS related, but I'm not sure.
  We have a website http://blackboard.navarrocollege.edu.  Yesterday
some people started reporting that they couldn't access the website.
Others can access it just fine.

The problems started when we moved to a gigaman circuit, with a new
firewall.  At the same time we began looking at upgrading our DNS
server.  Our primary server has been running Bind 4 (yes, I know!).
Yesterday I tested a Bind 8 configuration (in preparation for moving up
to Bind 9!).  It appeared to be working, except that I had forgotten the
CNAME for the server I'm having problems with.  I switched back to my
Bind 4 configuration thinking that we would function as before until I
could complete the move to the new Bind.

I'm not sure what I should post to help diagnose this.  Below is the
primary zone file, and the in-addr.arpa.  Note that we don't normally
have TTL set to 900 - we just did that while we were trying to figure
out this problem.

@       IN      SOA     dns.navarrocollege.edu.
root.dns.navarrocollege.edu. (

                 2006121204      ; Serial Number YYMMDDxxx
                 900             ; Refresh 2dary
                 900             ; 2dary retries after ..
                 604800          ; 2dary says primary is dead after ..
                 900 )         ; TTL in cache (12 hours) - 30 min (1800)
                         IN      NS      dns
                         IN      NS      dns2
navarrocollege.edu.     IN      MX      10 mailfoundry
navarrocollege.edu.     IN      A       205.165.189.178
mollybrown              IN      A       205.165.189.135
ftp                     IN      CNAME   mollybrown
astp                    IN      A       205.165.189.139
webadvisor              IN      CNAME   astp
testwa                  IN      CNAME   astp
calendar                IN      CNAME   astp
ipac                    IN      A       205.165.189.138
dns                     IN      A       205.165.189.130
columbia                IN      CNAME   dns
localhost               IN      A       127.0.0.1
sts                     IN      A       205.165.189.178
www                     IN      CNAME   sts
layout                  IN      CNAME   sts
foundation              IN      CNAME   sts
admin                   IN      CNAME   sts
sbdc                    IN      CNAME   sts
news                    IN      CNAME   sts
search                  IN      CNAME   sts
tour                    IN      CNAME   sts
collegeday              IN      CNAME   sts
dns2                    IN      A       205.165.189.183
apollo16                IN      A       205.165.189.176
blackboard              IN      CNAME   apollo16
gemini                  IN      A       205.165.189.182
mail                    IN      CNAME   gemini
pop                     IN      CNAME   gemini
gemini2                 IN      CNAME   gemini
ldap                    IN      A       205.165.189.180
mysql                   IN      CNAME   ldap
test                    IN      A       205.165.189.179
navnet                  IN      A       205.165.189.185
catalog                 IN      A       205.165.189.174
mailfoundry             IN      A       205.165.189.184
navarrocollege.edu. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx mx:johnwyoung.org
mx:dana-holland.com mx:r
oxanndawson.info mx:roddymcdowall.info ~all"
gemini.navarrocollege.edu. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

@       IN     SOA     dns.navarrocollege.edu.
root.dns.navarrocollege.edu. (
                 2006121203      ; Serial Number YYMMDDxxx
                 900             ; Refresh 2dary
                 900             ; 2dary retries after ..
                 604800          ; 2dary says primary is dead after ..
                 900 )          ; TTL in cache - 30 min
189.165.205.IN-ADDR.ARPA.       IN      NS      dns.navarrocollege.edu.
189.165.205.IN-ADDR.ARPA.       IN      NS      dns2.navarrocollege.edu.
130             IN      PTR     dns.navarrocollege.edu.
135             IN      PTR     mollybrown.navarrocollege.edu.
138             IN      PTR     ipac.navarrocollege.edu.
139             IN      PTR     astp.navarrocollege.edu.
178             IN      PTR     sts.navarrocollege.edu.
178             IN      PTR     dana-holland.com.
178             IN      PTR     johnwyoung.com.
178             IN      PTR     johnwyoung.net.
178             IN      PTR     johnwyoung.org.
178             IN      PTR     johnwyoung.info.
178             IN      PTR     dougboyte.com.
178             IN      PTR     cookplanetarium.us.
178             IN      PTR     cookcenter.us.
178             IN      PTR     pearcecollections.us.
178             IN      PTR     navarrocollege.org.
178             IN      PTR     navarrocollege.info.
176             IN      PTR     apollo16.navarrocollege.edu.
179             IN      PTR     mercury.navarrocollege.org.
183             IN      PTR     dns2.navarrocollege.edu.
180             IN      PTR     ldap.navarrocollege.edu.
182             IN      PTR     gemini.navarrocollege.edu.
184             IN      PTR     mailfoundry.navarrocollege.edu.
174             IN      PTR     catalog.navarrocollege.edu.
185             IN      PTR     navnet.navarrocollege.edu.