big problem - possibly dns?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Dec 13 00:27:48 UTC 2006

> We've got a problem here that seems to be DNS related, but I'm not sure.
>   We have a website http://blackboard.navarrocollege.edu.  Yesterday
> some people started reporting that they couldn't access the website.
> Others can access it just fine.
>
> The problems started when we moved to a gigaman circuit, with a new
> firewall.

	BIND 9 and BIND 8 support EDNS.  Make sure your firewall
	is configured to support EDNS.  This usually requires
	allowing through larger DNS/UDP packets (up to 4096 bytes
	of payload).  It also means allowing through IP fragments.

	Check your firewall documentation.

> At the same time we began looking at upgrading our DNS
> server.  Our primary server has been running Bind 4 (yes, I know!).
> Yesterday I tested a Bind 8 configuration (in preparation for moving up
> to Bind 9!).  It appeared to be working, except that I had forgotten the
> CNAME for the server I'm having problems with.

	Why were you re-entering data?  BIND 8 and BIND 9 both read
	the same master files as BIND 4 does.  They are just stricter
	than BIND 4 w.r.t. error in the master files.

>  I switched back to my
> Bind 4 configuration thinking that we would function as before until I
> could complete the move to the new Bind.

	Just go straight to BIND 9.

> I'm not sure what I should post to help diagnose this.  Below is the
> primary zone file, and the in-addr.arpa.  Note that we don't normally
> have TTL set to 900 - we just did that while we were trying to figure
> out this problem.

	Use $TTL <value> or specify a TTL on the SOA line for the
	default TTL.  MINIMUM is use to specify a negative TTL.
	See RFC 2308

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org