Best practice for zone with resonable amount of subdomains

jm jm at hcn.com.au
Wed Dec 13 06:32:13 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Just seeking input on peoples thoughts here.

I have one particular zone that has ~500 subdomains. Each subdomain has
an A record and a www CNAME.

I've considered 3 possible ways to structure the data being:

1. create a single master zone file and symlink the rest to it.
2. a single zone file & the use of $ORIGIN
3. writing the zone file as follows:

aaa    IN    A    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
www.aaa   IN   CNAME    aaa
bbb    IN    A    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxy
www.bbb    IN    CNAME bbb

My personal choice would be symlinking but some others have disagreed.

What's best practice?

Cheers,

Jason

PS. sorry if my mailer mangled the formatting!