wildcard reverse lookups?

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Dec 20 13:57:20 UTC 2006

According to RFC 1034:

RDATA           which is the type and sometimes class dependent data
                 which describes the resource:

                 NS              a host name.
                 PTR             a domain name.

having a name beginning with an asterisk label (wildcard) is legal in
the RDATA of the PTR.  I left "NS" above there to show the
distinction made between host names and domain names. (Host names are
a subset of domain names as defined in RFC 1123.)

There's nothing wrong with the PTR pointing to a wildcard as far as
the DNS protocol is concerned.  Perhaps the intent of the
administrator isn't going to be met though.  (Although what that
intent is, I can't really guess.)

IOW, if you do a lookup on the RDATA of the PTR, you will get back
the unexpanded wildcard.  If a wildcard is in the query, it is "Just
Another QNAME"  when the algorithm in RFC 1034, 4.3.2. is run.  The
wildcards in the QNAME and in the zone will match exactly, there is
no synthesis/expansion done.

Gin a wildcard RR meet a wildcard RR
Coming thro' the search algorithm,
Gin a wildcard RR kiss a wildcard RR -
Need a wildcard RR cry?

(http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/rburns/bl-rburns-comingrye.htm)

Thinking some more, maybe the intent is to say that any host name
under aaiprozy.ether.ch is acceptable for the IP address.  Well,
that's not what applications would get from the returned wildcard -
for one, applications don't have enough information to tell if the
synthesis would be applied correctly.  In fact, it wouldn't be.
Because if the forward host name was in the DNS, the wildcard
wouldn't apply to that name.

In summary, it's legal but not what is intended (most likely) in this
case.  It's like a car having a steering wheel but the road ahead is
straight.  There are times to turn but this ain't one of them.