rndc: create task manager. no available threads

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Thu Dec 21 22:23:27 UTC 2006

[This is a repost of an article posted to comp.protocols.dns.bind two
days ago that has not yet appeared on the newsgroup or on the list
which I have subscribed in the mean time.]

Hi,

when I do "ssh remotehost rndc reload", I get the error message "rndc:
create task manager. no available threads". When I ssh interactively
to remotehost and issue rndc reload on the shell command line,
everything is fine.

This only happens on one host (running Debian stable as the others
do), which is quite low on memory.

Is there any way to get rid of this error message and to make things
work instead? What does this error message mean in the first place?

Greetings
Marc