tracking scammers by IP number - OT

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Dec 28 16:46:16 UTC 2006

My bad.  I guess I assumed the user had logged into their Yahoo mail
account and sent it and it was this I was speaking of - Oddly enough I
can't hit port 25 on the server that said it received it with SMTP.

The originating address is from hsd1.md.comcast.net.  Comcast is a U.S.
Cable Television company that also does broadband over cable.  Is this
always a Comcast address you're seeing?  (doing reverse lookup on the
IPs would tell you).  If so it might be to the point to contact Comcast
and let them know you suspect there is fraudulent activity there.

Of course while the origination of the email may perhaps not be forged
it is possible to hack into local PCs and/or place bots there that send
the email.  Ironically a lot of this does emanate from Eastern Europe
and Russia so you may in fact be corresponding with a Russian albeit
more likely named Boris than Natalya. :-)

My point about "justice" was that A) it is very hard to track down these
people and B) unless they can actually have been shown to have profited
it is difficult to get them prosecuted.  That is if you'd send money and
lost it then you'd have a case but would any U.S. prosecutor spend the
time and money to track it down on behalf of a non-voting citizen in
another country or would an Oz prosecutor bother to try bringing to
justice a U.S. person not immediately in their reach?

It's a lot like the difference between murder and petty larceny.
There's nothing prohibiting the police from dusting for fingerprints or
looking for tell-tale DNA bearing items at the seen of a smashed car
window and a missing CD player but they'll almost never do it.   However
if a murder is committed they will.

There is no really global agency dealing with what is truly a global
phenomenon and until there is you'll not see much done except on a
larger scale.   That is to say there have been prosecutions but they are
typically targeted at large operations that are somewhat easily
identified.  Mixed jurisdictions, just county to county is often a pain
and state to state usually requires larger crimes because extradition
comes into play.  On international crime one typically has the added
burden of politics and added expenses.