query root.hint first, then forwarders list

Aleksander aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee
Thu Feb 2 10:13:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

Our nameserver did all queries itself, that is used the root name
servers/root.hint zone. Now today something went really bad at the .ee
registrar. The root nameservers could not resolve many .ee addresses and
many local ISP's nameservers could not resolv other .ee addresses. So it
was quite a mess. Point being, using dig I could resolve all the queries
using different nameservers, root name servers versus local ones mainly.

The solution was to set up forwarders (forward first;) in the options
and use our ISP's nameserver. That saved the day. Now the newspapers
report that the problem is solved, which is great but something similar
could happen again.

Now the documentations says I have two options. Either I let my
nameserver first check the forwarders and if they fail then resolve the
query itself via root.hint zone or rely only on the forwarders. Why is
the option first try to resolve via root name servers and only then try
the forwarders missing? I would gladly use that one.

Is there a reason why quering root nameservers first and only then the
forwarders is considered a Bad Idea? Or is there another "backup" option?

Thanks,
       Alex