Two More Questions on Hosting Three Domains on One Name Server

Tom Naves tom.naves at orthodyne.com
Thu Feb 2 20:42:46 UTC 2006

I am going to host three domains on my dns servers:

mydomain.com
mydomain.net
mydomain.de

The NS Record for each domain is:

        IN        NS        nameserver1.mydomain.com.
        IN        NS        nameserver2.mydomain.com.

Here are the SOAs for each domain:

mydomain.com.        IN        SOA        nameserver1.mydomain.com.
dns.mydomain.com.   (

mydomain.com.        IN        SOA        nameserver1.mydomain.com.
dns.mydomain.com.   (

mydomain.com.        IN        SOA        nameserver1.mydomain.com.
dns.mydomain.com.   (

In summary, I am using the same master and slave nameservers to host the
three domains.  I am using the same SOA and NS records for each of the three
domains.

Is this correct?

I have another problem with the reverse lookup zones.  All three domains are
on the same subnet and all three of the mail exchangers are on  two hosts:

mail.mydomain.com is on          192.168.40.20
mail2.mydomain.com is on        192.168.40.21
mail.mydomain.net is on            192.168.40.21
mail2.mydomain.net is on          192.168.40.20
mail.mydomain.de is on             192.168.40.20
mail2.mydomain.de is on           192.168.40.21

It looks to me that I cannot have a reverse lookup for all mail exchangers.
So I will have reverse lookups for:

20        IN        PTR        mail.mydomain.com
21        IN        PTR        mail.mydomain.net

and none for the other four mail exchangers.

Should this be o.k.?

Sorry for belaboring this, but I cannot find the information andywhere.  It
appears, sigh, to come with experience.

Thanks,

Tom Naves