How to Stop the "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL)" Messages?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Feb 5 17:02:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:13:30AM +0800,
 imacat <imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> Some how I heard of it years ago, I did not disable it, because I
> was told to be supposed to be solving the problem instead of
> supressing the error messages.

This is a good advice if the error is *local*. If it is remote, you
cannot do a lot: sure you can write people but my experience with
email to DNS administrators is that you'll get a bounce or simply a
complete silence (TLD administrators are not different in that
respect). The DNS administrators who reply to email are typically not
the ones who have configuration problems :-}

> I do not want to supress error messages of my own servers.

For your own servers, rather than relying on BIND errors, why not
using Zonecheck? http://www.zonecheck.fr/