How to Stop the "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL)" Messages?

imacat imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw
Mon Feb 6 21:17:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:00:25 -0600
Pete Ehlke <pde at rfc822.net> wrote:
> On Mon Feb 06, 2006 at 22:15:45 +0800, imacat wrote:
> >    Log rotation will only deal with disk fill-up, but not disk
> >scratching.
> Erm... What is the MTBF specification for the drives you're using? And
> how much data are you logging that you seriously believe it's going to
> shorten the lifespan of your drives?
    As I said, 24 "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL)" messages per minute,
1277 per hour, 46724 per month.  I can hear it scratching noisily every
time.  Newer harddrives are weaker than before.  I would never risk it.

    And, a log file with excess irrevelent messsage is hard to track,
too.  It's no difference to useless.  It's always a nightmare every time
I try to tail the syslog and a bunch of "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL)"
comes in altogether.

> >  And we are not using log rotate for security reason.
> Uhh.... what? What 'security reason'?

    Seriously, I don't know who is using log rotate.  Maybe only those
newbies, or distrubiton packagers.  We archive all the log files, so
that we can reference them in the future.  Some intruders do not make
trouble when intrusion happens, but hide themself and wait a specific
time.  Also sometimes we may not be able to attend to some minor
problems in time, when we are bonded to other large projects.  We have
to keep the log files in order that we can return and check it in the
future.  And it has statistics value, too.  The Apache log files can be
analized with Analog for marketing purpose.  The maillog can be parsed for
recent spammers, or abandon accounts that are frequently spammed.  We
even use it to track mails weeks ago after some long vacation.

    I can fully understand why distrubiton packagers need logrotate, in
order to help the newbies not fill-up their harddisks.  But, we are not
newbies.  We know where and how to archive them.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Tavern IMACAT's: http://www.imacat.idv.tw/