Why does sendmail think its host is named `localhost' is it named?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Feb 7 10:54:37 UTC 2006

Jason Mitchell <jm at hcn.com.au> writes:

> I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with named/DNS and everything to
> do with your Gentoo box's config.
>
> Take a look at /etc/conf.d/hostname

You turned out to be right.  But it wasn't the files under
/etc/conf.d.  It was the /etc/hosts file.  Heinze S. (on gentoo list)
noticed something.  And gave this advice:

Harry posted his /etc/hosts
>> /etc/hosts:
>>   ------- 8< snip --------
>>   127.0.0.1	localhost       reader

Heinze S commented:
> Switch that to: 127.0.0.1 reader localhost
> and you'll be fine.

I know for sure I've had it the posted way for quite a while since I
keep my config files under cvs protection.  I'm not real religious
about committing often but I do see the same thing in versions in the
past but back then sendmail new its host anyway.

So, I kind of think there may be accumulated changes in sendmail
itself that no alonger allows that much sloppyness.

But cutting to the chase... switching it as advised I see sendmail
start using the right host name.  So whoopee ... its fixed.  Thanks to
Heinz.