dynamic DNS configuration question

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Thu Feb 9 02:15:43 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I configured dynamic DNS sometime ago and trying to figure if I understand it
correctly so I apologize in advance since I still should be considered a newbie.

client side:  redhat-8.0 dhcp-3.0.3 using dhclient for updating
server side:  bind-9.2.3 on SuSE machine.

So here is what I am not completely undestanding:
I am wanting to manually update the zone file on my primary DNS server and
see on the that there is an update to the zone file (called zones/domain.com).
 and there is a creation of a zones/domain.com.jnl file.  There are $ORIGIN
and $TTL tags places in the zones/domain.com file.  Is this proper behavior?
Is it okay to manually change the information in this file and restart the
named daemon?

Is there a good page or configuration file that explains this in more detail?
 Also a good page that discusses proper configuration on the client (dhclient
config) side?

Thanks in advance,

Noah