CNAME for domain.com?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Feb 9 21:37:35 UTC 2006

	Why did you post this twice?

> All-
>     I have several domains that point to my machine at home on my
> Comcast cable connection which has a name pointed at it through
> DynDNS.org. I want to CNAME records in the zone files for the domains
> that point to my machine, which is not a problem for domains where I
> have a hostname (i.e. www.mydomain.com, mail.mydomain.com, etc.), but I
> also want to point mydomain.com at my dyndns.org name rather than making
> it an A record pointing at the IP of my machine. However, I can't use a
> CNAME to do this. Is there an easy way to point mydomain.com (without a
> hostname) at my dyndns.org name as a CNAME, or does it have to be an A
> record pointing at an IP?
> Thanks-
> Joel

	Talk to the WC3 forum and get SRV support into browsers.

	What you want to do is not allowed by the DNS protocol.

	RFC 1034:

The domain system provides such a feature using the canonical name
(CNAME) RR.  A CNAME RR identifies its owner name as an alias, and
specifies the corresponding canonical name in the RDATA section of the
RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be
used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org