Forwarding to a Cache

Kimi Ostro kimimeister at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 13:43:41 UTC 2006

On 03/02/06, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com > wrote:

> Not quite. My answer is "try it and see". In some situations, forwarding
> opportunistically (i.e. forward "first" instead of forward "only") makes
> sense from a performance standpoint.

Sorry for the lengthy delay in replying.

I see, well I am not really looking so much from a performance side of
things to be honest, although still it is nice to know. I have always
thought there was too much emphasis on performance, more interested in
integrity and stability.

There are a number of factors that
> play into this, but they basically boil down to cache-hit ratios, the
> reliability/performance of your forwarders, and the latency of your
> connectivity to those forwarders, relative to your latency, and their
> latency, to the Internet at large.

hmmm.. this is probably where that lapse in lookups comes from every once in
a short-while. In most cases looks are in milliseconds, but there are times
when it can take 4/5 seconds to do a lookup.

To expand a little bit on cache-hit
> ratios: if the names you're looking up are very popular ( e.g. yahoo.com,
> msn.com , google.com, chrysler.com :-) with the forwarder's other
> clients, and happen to have reasonable TTL values, then the chances of a
> particular name being in the cache are high, and when the answer comes
> from cache, from a non-overloaded nameserver, with good, non-overloaded
> network infrastructure between that nameserver and yours, then it's
> going to be fast. Sometimes cache-hit ratios can be affected by things
> like timezone, e.g. one of the forwarder's big clients is in a time zone
> 1 hour ahead of yours, so their users logging on in the morning populate
> the forwarders' cache with, say, www.ebay.com , etc. entries and so the
> cache is "hot" by the time your users are logging on, and you reap the
> benefits of their query-latency times. Bear in mind that since you're
> caching locally, in addition to your forwarders caching, and since DNS
> is designed for all cache entries derived from the same lookup from an
> authoritative nameserver, to time out simultaneously, that TTL values do
> not primarily determine the cache-hit-ratio benefit you get by
> forwarding.

I think this is where I haven't explained my self properly and shot my email
off before giving more details --naughty me.

Basically, at the moment my setup contains three nameservers, two are
authoratative (master/slave) and one is a recursing cache. I done away with
forwarding in the sense that using the ISPs DNS servers is probably not the
best way after reading lots of information on how DNS is supposed to work
and things like DNS poisoning, blah blah.

So basically the caching nameserver forwards all querys for my local network
to my authoratative slave as I set it as the default in all the resolvers.
Obviously now, if the authoratative servers don't have the information, the
caching server will want to find the query if possible from else where, and
so the story goes on.

cache.kimi.home 's named.conf:
view "internal.kimi.home" {

 zone "." {
  type hint;
  file "master/root.cache";
 };

 zone "localhost" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.localhost.db";
 };

 zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.loopback.rv";
 };

 zone "kimi.home" in {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 192.168.1.212; 192.168.1.211; };
 };

 zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 192.168.1.212; 192.168.1.211; };
 };

};

This was the only working config I could get working near to the way I
"wanted".

Now what I was thinking of doing this:

new master.kimi.home's named.conf:
view "internal.kimi.home" {

 zone "." {
  type forward;
  forwarders { 192.168.1.210; };
 };

 zone "localhost" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.localhost.db";
 };

 zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.loopback.rv";
 };

 zone "kimi.home" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.kimi.home.db";
 };

 zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
  type master;
  file "master/mst.kimi.home.rv";
 };

};

the forwarder in the declaration is only a recursive caching nameserver,
itself does no forwarding to the ISP's dns servers.

If you're the *only* client looking up a particular name
> through a particular forwarder, for example, then it doesn't matter
> whether the TTL is set to 1 second or 1 year, your cache entry for that
> name, and the forwarder's cache entry, are going to time out
> simultaneously, so there is going to be a latency hit on the next lookup
> (obviously the TTL values are, as always, going to have a *local* impact
> in terms of the latency-versus-memory tradeoff). What is more important
> than TTLs in an absolute sense, is whether the timing and frequency of
> the forwarders' other clients' lookups, *relative* to the pertinent TTL
> values, is going to result in them taking the latency hits for you to
> populate the forwarders' cache in such a way as to speed up your
> lookups. That's going to be a highly-situational thing, something that
> is very subject to tuning and, in extreme cases, perhaps even a bit of a
> Prisoner's Dilemma (e.g. if they have a big batch job that looks up a
> bunch of domain names, and you have a similar batch job looking up many
> of the same names, and you schedule your job to follow theirs by a
> particular time increment, in order to benefit from the cache-hit ratio
> that their batch job enhances, they may eventually give up forwarding
> because it's not giving them any benefit, and you both may end up having
> to fend for yourselves).

Being that I am still learning DNS and more so BIND, I haven't managed to
work out how other people get this to work. There has to have been other
people who wanted a similar setup? that being one non-forwarding recursive
caching nameserver for all the querys that cannot be answered by the
authoritative nameservers for the internal network, with clients/resolvers
only having the authoritative nameservers listed.

       [.]

     [cache]
     /      \
 [master] [slave]
      |    |
     [client]

But, more often than not, forwarding is used inappropriately, without
> the proper testing and measurement to see if it is warranted or not.
> Folks often forward for bureaucratic reasons, because of legacy
> configurations left over from a time when their Internet connectivity
> was less reliable than it is today, or simply because of bad habits or
> ignorance ("we know this configuration works, but we don't know why and
> don't want to try anything else, for fear of breaking stuff").
>

>                                                          - Kevin

thank you so much.

--
Kimi