Can BIND use Internal Domain name?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Feb 24 00:34:21 UTC 2006

"Hawthorne" should be written "Hawthorne." and means the TLD toplevel
domain "Hawthorne".

This domain belongs into the root "."

Alternatively you can create a "Hawthorne.zone" file on your dns-server.
Now "Hawthorne" can be found on your server although it is not in the
root.

Where do you define "hawsrv02"?

If it is in "Hawthorne.zone" file then it becomes "hawsrv02.Hawthorne".

If you dig for "hawsrv02.Hawthorne" you will find your cname.

If you really want a "hawsrv02" do it in your /etc/hosts, all of them.

I remember several companies I worked for, who used to distribute their
/etc/hosts on 60, 80 and 500 computers and had the users to do all the
copying.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium