can't resolve similar addresses

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ crichmon at filc8046.fm.intel.com
Mon Feb 27 17:29:55 UTC 2006

Folks,

    This one has me baffled.  I can look up www.isc.org from either
the router/firewall or the client NAT'd behind it, but I can't
lookup ntp.isc.org from the client without providing isc.org's
(or maybe other) servers to query.  Any idea what's causing this?

                                  DNS host   client
dig www.isc.org                   pass       pass
dig ntp.isc.org                   pass       fail
dig ntp.isc.org @204.152.184.138  pass       pass

I have occasional issues like this, but this was the first I
was able to collect data on.  Running bind 8.4.6 on RH 6.1,
kernel 2.2.25.

Part of the point is setting up a newer box with a current
bind 9.something, new ntpd, etc.

Thx, Chris

--
 Chris Richmond         | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa