dns delegation and recursion

Stella Korakaki kors at altectelecoms.gr
Tue Feb 28 12:13:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:51:10 -0500
Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <dtumto$1pup$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  (TM)U?II? ?OU?I?IE <skor at hellug.gr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have an authoritative only dns server running bind 9.
> > Is there any way I can permit recursion for specific zones?
> > For example I have a zone example.com which delegates some sub
> > domains to other nameservers.
> > sub.example.com.	IN NS other.dns.server.
> >
> > I prefer not to enable recursion globaly.
>
> Why do you think you need this?  The queries that come in to your
> server will most likely not have the Recursion Desired flag set.  So
> even if you allowed recursion, it wouldn't be requested so you
> wouldn't do it.

Thanx for you reply.
Well it seems that with no recursion, this doesn't work. I was able to
get a correct response only when I enabled recursion.

Disclaimer
The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential. It is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, or person responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately. Unless you are the intended recipient or his/her representative you are not authorized to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.