DNS Pattern : www.* www2.* www3.*

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 5 22:40:10 UTC 2006

Mark Andrews wrote:

>>Hi!
>>
>>I'm trying to create universal record with this pattern:
>>
>>www.*      3600   A   1.1.1.1
>>www2.*      3600   A   1.1.1.2
>>www3.*      3600   A   1.1.1.3
>>
>>examples of query:
>>
>>www.a.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.1
>>www2.a.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.2
>>www3.a.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.3
>>
>>www.aaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.1
>>www2.aaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.2
>>www3.aaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.3
>>
>>www.aaaaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.1
>>www2.aaaaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.2
>>www3.aaaaa.domain.com   -> 1.1.1.3
>>
>>But this is the log when I start bind 9.3.x :
>>
>>www.*.domain.com: bad owner name (check-names)
>>
>>Is it possibile?
>>

>	No.

Just to nitpick, it *is* possible, for some constrained definition of
"pattern". If one were to limit the "pattern-matching" to, say, at most
5 characters, all alpha, in the second label, as shown in the query
examples above, then one could have a file containing all 12-13 million
combinations (26^5 + 26^4 + ...) for that label, times 3 (for www, www2
and www3) that could be $INCLUDE'd into the relevant master zonefile(s).
One would also need enough RAM to hold all of those entries.

I don't think that's quite what the original poster had in mind though...