/var/cache/bind empty

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 5 22:46:44 UTC 2006

DenisG wrote:

>Hi
>
>I just installed my first BIND on a Debian Sarge server, it seems to
>work fine for LAN queries but before becoming my domain's DNS, I'd like
>to understand some things:
>
>I installed with apt-get install, everything is in /etc/bind
>(named.conf, zone files). I thought /var/cache/bind was here to store
>the cache, but I noticed it keeps empty. Is it an error in my conf?
>If it's normal, what is this directory for?
>And then where does BIND store the cache?

BIND uses a RAM cache, not a disk cache. As such, I'm not sure what the
point of /var/cache/bind would be. I'm assuming that the "apt-get
install" set up that directory, right? Or was it pre-existing? Are there
any references to /var/cache/bind in the generated named.conf file? I
suppose it might be useful as a dump-file, statistics-file and/or
memstatistics-file location. Or maybe the apt-get authors were just
confused...