Reverse DNS issues [SOLVED]

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jan 7 00:20:22 UTC 2006

> > If I see another post from you and it doesn't appear that you've looked
> > at the cache dump, I'll just ignore it.
> >
> All solved!
>
> There were actually 2 problems at work here.... The first was that one of the
> nameservers was actually blocking my IP. I haven't heard back for what
> reason, but once they released the block, those domains started to work.

	Living is AUS and using cable I see this reasonably often.
	Idiots who think "we don't need to answer queries from
	APNIC" or "we don't need to answer queries from cable
	modems".  The first set also cause my cable provider's
	nameservers to fail.

> Then the 2nd was more of a "Just for shits/giggles lemme try" type thing.
> I commented out "query-source address * port 53;", and now I can get the
> rest of the domains.... Must be a change they made to stop people using
> them as a recursive resolver or something.

	No.  Just idiots with firewalls that think queries can only
	come from high ports.  Originally all server to server
	DNS/UDP traffic was port 53 to port 53 and we had idiots
	with firewalls that blocked non-port 53 sourced DNS traffic.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org