High loading of bind

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Jan 13 18:37:30 UTC 2006

Alex Tang <alextang at cms.hkcable.com> wrote:
> my cache dns server working in high cpu utilization. How can I
> change some config to increase the dns capacity ? The dns server
> cannot reponse any query or very slow when about 49% usage

> bind version: 8.37
> SunOS  5.8 Generic_108528-26 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210

you might consider a faster system and/or some more agressive
compilation options.  I believe there is an option on some revs of
named to minimize how much stuff it returns - the bet being that it is
stuff the requestor didn't really need anyway - something called
"minimal responses" IIRC.  might be a pointer to that in one of my old
DNS writeups at ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/briefs/

rick jones