BIND9 master/slave - ixfr fails

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 21 04:58:37 UTC 2006

In article <dqrbbo$19na$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Ronni Jensen <ronnij at nejvel.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new on BIND dns, and have installed a master (ns1 - 10.10.2.245)
> and a slave (ns2 - 10.10.2.246) server - both BIND9.
>
> On NS1 I have this in named.conf:
>
> zone "mydomain.dk" {
>         type master;
>         file "data/m/mydomain.dk";
>         allow-transfer { 10.10.2.246; };
> };
>
> On NS2 I have this:
>
> zone "mydomain.dk" {
>         type slave;
>         file "data/m/mydomain.dk";
>         masters { 10.10.2.245; };
> };
>

> On NS1, the zonefile data/m/mydomain.dk exists, but I have not created
> it at NS2 - I am expecting NS2 to IXFR the zone from NS1 and store it
> in data/m/mydomain.dk also. Is that not correct?

The first time it will have to use AXFR -- IXFR is for getting changes
since a previous snapshot, AXFR is for getting the whole zone.  But I
don't think the distinction is relevant to your question.

> Anyway; as it is configured at this moment, it doesn't work. If I do a
> nslookup on NS1, I get an answer correctly, but if I do the same on
> NS2, I just get this error:
>
> ** server can't find mydomain.dk: SERVFAIL
>

> Can anyone please help me fix this issue? Thank you.

Do you have something blocking TCP port 53 connections from NS2 to NS1?

Are there any log messages on NS2 when it starts up, complaining about a
failure trying to transfer the zone?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA