Internal Master with external slaves

Gabriel Granger gabe at pancentric.com
Mon Jan 23 15:51:43 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've been using Bind for a while and decided that it would be a good
idea to move my master inside my private nat network.  I've made my
public master and slave servers both slaves to my internal master.
Which for the most part works fine, the problem I'm having, is when I
make changes on the master server it takes ages for the slaves to be
notified and grab the update.  Because I dont what the true location
of my master specified anywhere in the zone I've set the start of my
SOA as follows

@       IN      SOA     ns0.pancentric.net.     dns-
admin.pancentric.com.

which is what the WHOIS information shows, and I've told my slaves
where the real master is.  Having set this up, I'm now wondering if
the way I've done this is wrong? or do I need to additionally specify
other options to allow my slaves to update quicker?

What is the best way of setting something like this up?

Many thanks in advance,

Gabe Granger