trying to configure forwarding

Mikhail T. mi at aldan.algebra.com
Sun Jan 22 00:24:23 UTC 2006

Hello!

I'm trying to write my own little name-server program. It seems to work
for local clients (tested by binding it to 127.0.0.2), and I'd like to
test it from the Internet.

Trouble is, I already run bind9 on my only public-IP and can not afford
to bring it down for long.

So I decided to use the "type forward", so that only queries about the
particular test sub-zone (say, T.my.domain), are forwarded by named to
my server.

Here are the two zones as configured on my machine:

	[...]
	zone "my.domain" {
		type slave;
		file "slave/my.domain";
		masters {
			151.204.231.237;
		};
	};

	zone "T.my.domain" {
		type forward;
		forwarders {
			127.0.0.2;
		};
		forward only;
	};
	[...]

Here is T's entry in the my.domain's zone file:

	T	8640	IN	NS	aldan.algebra.com.

Unfortunately, when I try to `nslookup something.T.my.domain', my
little daemon does not get the query, but the main one on my machine
responds with `Non-existent host/domain'.

Any advice? Thanks!

	-mi