hidden master

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 25 04:08:47 UTC 2006

DC wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a hidden master (M) that can be seen from only one of the slave
>(D), but not the other slaves (S).
>The records are distributed from M to D, then from D to S and other
>servers.
>The master M can send notify to slave D. I would like D in turn to
>notify S. However, because notify only works for master, I am not able
>to get D to send out notify.
>
>Any suggestion ?

Well, NOTIFY doesn't "only work[s] for master", it works for slaves too,
but by default the NOTIFYs get sent only to the servers mentioned in the
NS records of the zone. If you're NAT'ing, maybe you're sending the
NOTIFYs to the external addresses instead of the internal addresses, or
something like that. Note that you can override the default NOTIFY
behavior with BIND's "also-notify" alone, which would be purely
additive, or "also-notify" together with "notify explicit", which
completely *replaces* the default NOTIFY list.