DNS and domains

levartze levartze at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 08:12:34 UTC 2006

I setup a system about 10 yrs ago with an inside (private) network and an
outside (public) network and a firewall in between using bind4.  The inside
and outside used the same domain with different IP's and neither could see
the other because of the firewall.  I firewall has a pool of valid IP for
NAT for those external requests from the inside.  At that time the network
was quite small and since then has grown substantially (1500+ nodes).

I would like to try and change the inside network domain to a different one
(i.e. change it from mydomain.net to mydomain.lan).  This way seems much
cleaner and I'm trying to install a new nameserver with bind9, so the timing
would be right for doing this.

Also, I have several subnets (i.e., 10.1.0.0/24,
10.2.0.0/24,10.3.0.0/24,...).
Should I have a separate sub-domain for each of these ?
(i.e. subnet_10_1.lan, subnet_10_2.lan, subnet_10_3.lan,...)

Is there any reference material dealing with kind of thing that someone
could recommend?

Thank you,

Bob