change the SOA

Aleksander aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee
Wed Jan 25 19:25:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

have some master dns records and their SOA is
"auto-generated-named.domain.com". The name is literally
"auto-generated-blahblah", this really sucks. We moved off that firewall
solution and now have the gateway running on a normal linux distro with
bind9. I'd like to clean up the records now. There's an IP change on the
way too, would be nice to clean up the records and lower TTL and the
same time.

Would it be fine, if I change the zones to have the SOA to be
domain.com. and add temporary nameservers
"auto-generated-name.domain.com" which point to the new SOA? Will this
break anything? And then notify the registrar etc.

In other words, if I change the SOA and let the old SOA name point to
the new one (NS record), will other hosts adapt the new SOA name? It's
important not to break the DNS for the hosts.

Put it more simply, what are the steps when changing the SOA?

Thanks,
Alex