dig problem with multiple network adapters

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 26 05:47:12 UTC 2006

In article <dr8f3v$1ecd$1 at sf1.isc.org>, David <david at fccn.pt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help to solve one problem:
>
> I'm using BIND in a box with FreeBSD with 2 network adapters, the
> question is how force dig to use the second adapter.
> In another box with  a recent dig version i solve a similar problem with
> the flag -b ( The  -b option sets the source IP address of the query to
> address. This
> must be a valid address on one of the hosts network interfaces.)

But that doesn't force it to use that interface for the outgoing query.
The interface is chosen by looking up the destination address in the
routing table, not based on the source address.

> But this machine is unstable, so at this moment I don't whant to make
> any kind of updates, can anyone tell me where  do I  configure dig to
> use the second IP address?

There's no such configuration.  Either you use -b to specify the source
address, or you let the OS choose the source address for you.  When it
chooses, it always uses the address of the interface it's sending out,
which is determined from the destination address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA