nsupdate succeeds with wrong key...

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 20:20:13 UTC 2006

I noticed that with secret key length = 24 characters, I can send a
wrong key and
still see that nsupdate suceeds.

BIND version: 9.2
OS : HPUX-11i

My secret key has the format:

<22characters> followed by ==

Example:
blahblahblahblahblahkG==
                                ^^

                                 +------------------------ CHARACTER TO
CHANGE

Step#1: Have the same key in nsupdate input key file and in named.conf
step#2 : do a nsupdate, it succeeds [ Accepted behavior ]
step#3: Change G to H ( or any upper case alphabet )
step#4 : do a nsupdate, it succeeds...!!!!!!   [ UNACCEPTABLE Behavior
]

However, if I change from G to g ( or to any lower case character or to
a digit ), I see a ERROR in nsupdate ( Accepted behavior ).

Is this a known bug in nsupdate or named?

thanks
Blr