special characters in zone files

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jan 27 18:51:26 UTC 2006

On checking zone files I see they are configured to show contact email
for our site as "postmaster.water.com" which equates to
postmaster at water.com.  This address does not exist here.
After doing a search I can see that this address properly should exist
but I have no control over the email setup other than pointing an MX
record to it.   So I'd like to change the files to see a different
account which was setup for our use for DNS related items.
Unfortunately it has a dot in its name domain.technician at water.com.   If
I put it into the zone file as domain.technician.water.com it equates
out to domain at technician.water.com which is incorrect.   Trying standard
quoting "domain.technician".water.com broke the zone file and doing
escape domain\.technician.water.com didn't change anything.

Is there a way to use special characters like the dot in the name so
that it will properly equate the entry to domain.technician at water.com?

Googling and examining the Bind 9 manual didn't help.   I'm using Bind
9.2.1.

Please do not reply that having a dot in an account name is
inappropriate.  I already know that and didn't create the account.   The
question is a technical one on how to use the account I have - not a
policy one on which account I should have instead.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Unix Systems Administrator
DS Waters of North America
678-486-3516