spam filter and MX records

barber.greg at gmail.com barber.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 11:54:34 UTC 2006

We've recently implemented a spam filter for our webmail server. Prior
to putting the filter in place all mail was sent directly to the server
via an A  record in DNS. The A record was also the domain name for the
mail server so you had someting like this user at xyz.123.edu recived mail

at
xyz.123.edu IN  A  192.xxx.xxx.xxx .

For the filter to work properly an MX record was created to point to
the filter like this

xyz.123.edu IN MX mail.filter.123.edu

I suggested that the A record also be change, during testing I noticed
messages being delivered straight to the host and not the by the MX
designation.  Would it be safe to change the A record back to
xyz.123.edu? I've read some mailers don't respect MX records and
deliver to the host anyway. Besides isn't bad form to have your A
record the same as your mail domain?