How to Host Multipoe Domains on One Namesever Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 31 23:28:08 UTC 2006

Tom Naves wrote:

>I have been hosting one domain on my name server for some time now.  Now I
>am trying to host another domain on this one name server.  I have two
>questions:
>
>Both my forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones currently have the
>following NS Record
>        IN        NS        nameserver.mydomain.com
>
>Currently I have one forward lookup zone, db.mydomain.com with A Records for
>all the hosts for that domain.  Additionally I have several reverse lookup
>zones that reflect my subnets.
>
>When I create the new domain/zone mydomain.net should it have the same name
>server as the above or should I make the NS record reflect the zone name?
>         IN        NS        nameserver.mydomain.net
>
>and then give the name server an A record in the forware lookup zone for
>that domain?

Opinions differ somewhat on this. Some folks think it's "safer" to
always delegate to names that are in the subdomain being delegated. I,
on the other hand, find it more manageable to have a common set of
nameserver names and use those for all of our hosted domains. Also, I
wonder about forward/reverse consistency: when there are dozens or
hundreds of names all resolving to the same IP address, where does the
reverse record point?

>My second question is what to do about the reverse lookup zones.  I have two
>mail exchangers that serve both domains:
>
>mail.mydomain.com
>mail2.mydomain.com
>
>mail        IN    A    192.168.1.134
>mail2      IN    A    192.168.1.131
>
>and
>
>mail.mydomain.net
>mail2.mydomain.net
>
>mail        IN    A    192.168.1.131
>mail2      IN    A    192.168.1.134
>
>Can I put both hosts in the reverse lookup zone?  If so, how do you do it?

You _could_, but a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) like
mail.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa looks pretty goofy IMO...