Forwarding notify packets

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 31 23:32:24 UTC 2006

Meron Brandeis wrote:

>and it also backs up several customer's dnses.
>
>question is, whether our server can forward the notify packets it recieves
>to another server, which will, in its turn, xfer the zone from the remote
>slave..?
>
>This is quite a crucial question for us,
>
>Thanks ahead
>Meron B.
>System Unix
>Barak ITC ltd.

To my knowledge, there is no "forwarding" capability, _per_se_, however
if you have multiple levels of slaves, there is, or can be, a kind of
"cascade" effect: as "inner" slaves transfer the zone, they will notify
"outer" slaves, if those slaves have published NS'es for the zone, or,
failing that, can be added to the also-notify configuration to force the
down-notification.