BIND crashes after RNDC reload: out of memory

Etienne Simard etienne at vdn.ca
Fri Jul 7 20:02:30 UTC 2006

I have a 2 BIND servers and the second one copies data(zone files) and
reloads it every hour or so.

The version of the BIND is 9.3.2

This always happens after bind runs for 60-100hours. It crashes every time.

Jul  7 11:00:01 server named[20174]: dns_master_load: out of memory
Jul  7 11:00:01 server named[20174]: could not configure root hints from
'named.root': out of memory
Jul  7 11:00:01 server named[20174]: reloading configuration failed: out of
memory

Now the weird thing is that I had BIND running with the exact same
configuration on another server
and it never crashed. Also we had the same config on the same server with
another version of the OS and it never crashed.

I browsed other posts about the out of memory issue and it said to change
the datasize variable.

Right now, I have no Datasize variable set in named.conf so the default is
default(from bind's admin book).
It says "default uses the limit that was in force when the server was
started.". Now I have no idea how much that is
and how much i should put as datasize variable.

Do you know how to check the size of the datasize if it's set to default?
Do you guys ever had this problem before and have an idea of a good
datasize?(I guess it depends on what you do with the server and what kind of
server it is...)

----------

6.2.16.9. Operating System Resource Limits

The server's usage of many system resources can be limited. Scaled values
are allowed when specifying resource limits. For example, 1G can be used
instead of 1073741824 to specify a limit of one gigabyte. unlimited requests
unlimited use, or the maximum available amount. default uses the limit that
was in force when the server was started. See the description of size_spec
in Section 6.1.
The following options set operating system resource limits for the name
server process. Some operating systems don't support some or any of the
limits. On such systems, a warning will be issued if the unsupported limit
is used.

coresize

The maximum size of a core dump. The default is default.

datasize

The maximum amount of data memory the server may use. The default is
default. This is a hard limit on server memory usage. If the server attempts
to allocate memory in excess of this limit, the allocation will fail, which
may in turn leave the server unable to perform DNS service. Therefore, this
option is rarely useful as a way of limiting the amount of memory used by
the server, but it can be used to raise an operating system data size limit
that is too small by default. If you wish to limit the amount of memory used
by the server, use the max-cache-size and recursive-clients options instead.

files

The maximum number of files the server may have open concurrently. The
default is unlimited.

stacksize

The maximum amount of stack memory the server may use. The default is
default.