Reverse Zones - Subnets?

Nicolas Riendeau knightr at istop.com
Fri Jul 7 20:37:53 UTC 2006

Hi!

Matt wrote:
> Ok,
> I *am* the ISP.  We just recently migrated from Windows DNS to Bind.

(-;

That should definitly makes things easier...

> We were given a class /29 to reverse, and I'm trying to figure out the
> syntax in the named.conf file and in the zone record.  So I already
> have an upstream pointing the records at us for reversal.. I just need
> to make sure I've got the actual reveral correct, but only for a /29
> not the whole /24.

I'm currently looking through my files to see if I still have the zone file for the
/29...

Did you query the other side's DNS to see what they did? You should see CNAMES that
point to a zone hosted on your DNSes...

You must make sure they have delegated it properly and not like it is a /24 (that was
the problem we had last time, they has made NS records instead of CNAMEs and were
expecting the other side to ba able to "deal with it" )-; ).

I'll be back...

Nick