AAAA and DDNS A Records coexist?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jul 12 11:30:09 UTC 2006

John Ruff wrote:
> 	delsp=yes;
> 	format=flowed
> dhcp-3.0.3_1
> bind-9.3.2 & bind-9.4.0a6
>
> It seems that I cannot have a static AAAA record and have DDNS update
> with a A record when the host name is the same.  With an existing
> AAAA record for 'bob' dhcp will fail adding the DDNS A record for
> 'bob'.  Is this expected behavior?  If so, I assume bind is checking
> for an existing A record with the same IP or Name as the one it's
> attempting to add.  But it's not taking into consideration the record
> type.  I would think adding a A record for 'bob' is fine if 'bob'
> only exist with a AAAA record.  Any way to make this work?
>
> The DDNS update work fine if I remove the AAAA record.

There's no relationship  between A records and AAAA records except for
being in the same rrset. It's also not meaningful to talk about a static
 AAAA record in a dynamic zone. If an update fails then it's because the
prerequisites failed. BIND doesn't care about what you're adding as long
as you are allowed to add it and doesn't violate RFC rules. It WILL
reject changes that if you've told it that there are prerequisites to
the requests and those prerequisites are not being met. Turn on
debugging/tracing to figure out why.

Danny