Name Servers

David Nolan vitroth+ at cmu.edu
Thu Jul 13 17:15:02 UTC 2006

--On Thursday, July 13, 2006 17:12:56 +0100 Douglas Hall
<Douglas.Hall at Broadsystem.com> wrote:

> Is there a "HowTo" somewhere that can help me easily create a bind
> "Cluster" (for want of a better word.)
> i.e. Make a change on ns1 and the change will also reflect on ns2...

You just need a simple master/slave bind setup.

A good online resource is the zytrax.com DNS guide, available at
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

In particular, check out the sample configurations in chapter 6:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/

If you want to go beyond a simple bind setup you may want to look into
tools for maintaining your bind configuration and zones.  There are lots to
choose from, try searching the archives of this list.  (I'm the primary
maintainer of Carnegie Mellon's NetReg, which is one of many systems in
this space.  http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg    Its designed for fairly large
scale DNS systems, so its probably *not* the right system for you, based on
your description.)

If you want someone more experienced with bind to help you set it up and
maintain it, there are businesses offering that service.  (I run one
myself, feel free to contact me off list...)

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Computing Services
 Carnegie Mellon University